Explore Musical Improvisation and Ear Training, the building blocks of Song Writing.
De-mysitfy rhythm notation and the musical staff. Reading music is made easy and accessible.
Learn the theory of music and understand the underlying structure that music is built on.
Together We will Learn To:
- Read Music: De-mystify rhythm notation and the musical staff. Reading music is made easy and accessible.
- Perform a piano solo: By the end of the course, you'll feel confident performing the piano solo from "Come Sail Away” to showcase your new skills.
- Be creative: Explore Musical Improvisation and Ear Training, the building blocks of Song Writing
- Technique exercises to help you build strength and agility, to easily move fingers fast over the keyboard for those challenging melodies.
- Hand stretches for warm up and cool down to release tension and promote healthy playing.
- Chord playing exercises to build finger coordination for 3-note chord progressions.
- Music Theory: Learn the basic theory behind playing the piano including the treble and bass clef staff, scales, and music symbols..
What You’ll Get:
- 10 modules of illustrated, detailed video tutorials take you from zero to hero on piano
- Guided practice sessions so you never have to practice alone. Each piano lab segment is filled with useful exercises, tips and tricks for developing piano skills fast.
- Bonus video tutorials that expand on chord playing, song writing, and singing for pianists (a $99 value)
About This Course
The Music Junction Piano 101 course is a thorough and entertaining video course for Teens & Adults that is a must-have for learning the basics of piano for any beginner student. You'll never have to practice alone because in this piano tutorial series, every module includes a “piano lab” that serves as your practice buddy to practice along to and keep students engaged. Whether you’re a total beginner or someone who wants to review the basics, you can build a strong foundation with this course.
This fun Piano 101 course is taught by Pianist/Vocalist Charissa Wheeler, founder of Music Junction, a Los Angeles-based music school company that provides virtual lessons and online courses, as well as in-person training. The Music Junction school currently trains over 400 students at 2 music school locations in Burbank, California.
After working with hundreds of piano students, Charissa developed teaching techniques that were incredibly effective with her students time and time again. The “Music Junction Piano 101” course was born out of her experience, putting together her most successful teaching techniques for learning to play piano fast and simple.
Our model student for this course, comedian and beginning pianist, Christine, provides hilarious entertainment as Charissa guides students through the piano lab. These fun practice-along sessions make the course go by fast as students work through the lessons. You'll be laughing all the way to the finish line as you complete this course, with a thorough foundation in piano!
About Charissa Wheeler
Charissa is the Founder of Music Junction, a Los Angeles-based music school company that provides virtual lessons and online courses, as well as in-person training. The school currently trains over 400 students at 2 music school locations in Burbank, California.
Charissa received formal piano and voice training since the age of 4. Her mother was a music teacher and made sure that music was prioritized in the family. Charissa went on to become a full-time private piano and voice instructor, and taught music lessons for over a decade.
In 2012, Charissa opened the first Music Junction music school, and the school has now grown into two Burbank locations with a large team of teachers and staff. Charissa then became the Executive Director of the school and now gives teaching support to Music Junction teachers. She provides teaching pedagogy, coaching, and resources for the teaching team. Charissa also wrote a “Music Teacher’s Handbook;” a guidebook for teaching piano and voice lessons.
Charissa completed 5 levels of music theory examinations with the Minnesota Music Teachers Association (MMTA), who also awarded her a Certificate of Excellence for service as a piano accompanist. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Millikin University, Cum Laude. She was also featured in concert as an honored state-wide piano finalist at Northrup Auditorium in Minneapolis, Minnesota.